Gulden Draak Classic
The authentic, dark red tripel.
The Gulden Draak Classic
Such an impressive symbol that has been around for more than 6 centuries requires an equally impressive beer. Like the dragon at the top of the city, Gulden Draak has been one of the world's best beers for years. It is a dark tripel, which in itself makes it an exceptional beer, but the complex taste with notes of caramel, roasted malt and coffee makes it unique.
In short, the beer is worthy of its name.
For the secondary fermentation use is made of a wine yeast that determines the unparalleled taste and that ensures the long-term taste evolution (= living beer). The older the beer gets, the more aroma it gets and the fuller the taste and color become.
So it is certainly worth keeping a few large bottles and allowing them to mature for many years.
- Color: ruby red, dark
- Alcohol volume: 10.5% - 23 ° Plato
- Aroma: sweet, lightly roasted malt and coffee
- Taste: very full mouthfeel with hints of chocolate, caramel
- Finish: bittersweet and long
- Ideal serving temperature: between 8 ° and 12 ° Celsius
- Packaging: 33 cl, 75 cl, 1.5l, 3l bottles and 5l, 20l, 30l kegs
Gulden Draak is easy to drink as an aperitif, dessert or just when you have time to enjoy. This "barley wine" harmonises perfectly with and in stews and with a Ghent stew in particular. It also gives added value to sauces with red meat such as bordelaise and is also ideal as a dessert beer, especially with dark chocolate.
A DRAGON EGG
The power of the Gulden Draak (Gilded Dragon in English) shines most brightly when served in its own unique glass, a mysterious dragon egg resting on the strength of a boulder. A small dragon has been lasered onto the bottom of each glass; this etching keeps the fine head of foam from dissipating too quickly.
- 2021 - New York International Beer Competition, Belgian-Style Dark Strong Ale - Bronze
- 2020 - European Beer Challenge London, Triple - Double Gold
- 2020 - USA Beer Ratings, Historical beer - Silver
- 2019 - World Beer Awards, Belgium Winner, dark style strong - Bronze
- 2019 - European Beer Challenge, London - Silver
- 2019 - London Beer Competition - Silver
- 2019 - Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit competition - Gold
- 2019 - World Beer Award - Belgium style strong, Belgium - Gold
- 2019 - World Beer Challenge - Gold
- 2019 - World Beer Championships - Silver
- 2018 - International Beer Challenge - Gold
- 2016 - International beer challenge - Gold
- 2016 - New York International Beer Competition - Silver
- 2016 - Canada: Alberta Beverage Awards - Judges’ selection
- 2015 - World beer Awards - Belgium Barley Wine Pale Beer - Bronze
- 2014 - World Beer Challenge - Strong Ale - Barley Wine - Silver
- 2014 - world beer awards - Gold
- 2013 - Brussels Beer Challenge - Gold
- 2013 - New York International Beer Competition - Bronze
- 2013 - world Beer Challenge - Strong Ale Barley Wine - Gold
- 2011 - Copa Cervezas De America - Belgian Strong Ale - Bronze
- 2004 - Stockholm Beer & Whisky Festival - Silver